Born into an eminent family of religious scholars in Beirut, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Al-Kabbani is a world-renowned Muslim scholar, author, and lecturer.
Shaykh Hisham Kabbani received his Islamic Law (Shariah) Degree in Syria (Damascus). He also studied deeply the subject of Islamic spirituality under two internationally renowned Naqshbandi spiritual guides, namely, Shaykh Abdullah al-Fa’iz ad-Daghestani and Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani. He also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry from the American University of Beirut and also studied medicine in Lowain, Belgium.
Shaykh Hisham Kabbani is Chairman of the Islamic Supreme Council of America (ISCA), a non-profit religious organisation based in Washington DC. ISCA has spearheaded a number of peace initiatives, hosted notable conferences, actively engages in inter-religious dialogue, and promotes traditional and moderate Islamic views within and outside of USA. ISCA has addressed numerous world bodies such as the United Nations and continues to advise the United States Department of State on issues regarding Islam, religious tolerance and terrorism. The organisation was a key adviser in the formation of US foreign policy on Kosova, and has recently paved development and trade resources for Muslim-populated newly independent states of former Russia.
For many years Shaykh Hisham Kabbani has publicly condemned all acts of terrorism and the use of Islam to promote terrorist agendas. He has worked ardently to help people all over the world, from all walks of life, better understand the moderate, tolerant nature of traditional Islam, as practiced around the world. In this role of spreading the message of Islam and peace, Shaykh Hisham Kabbani has met with many heads of state like President George Bush, President Bill Clinton, President Bambang Yudhoyono (Indonesia), Vice-President Jusuf Kalla (Indonesia), Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi (Malaysia), President Hamid Karzai (Afghanistan), Prime Minister Recep Erdogan (Turkey) and many more.
Shaykh Hisham Kabbani writes extensively and, among others, has published the following notable books:
- Who are the Guides? Institute for Spiritual & Cultural Advancement, 186 pgs, 2009.
- Through the Eye of the Needle. By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 204 pgs, 2008.
- Symphony of Remembrance. Institute for Spiritual & Cultural Advancement, 188 pgs, 2007.
- Universe Rising. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 284 pgs, 2007.
- Illuminations: Compiled Lectures on Shariah and Tasawwuf. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 532 pgs, 2007.
- The Sufi Science of Self-Realization. Fons Vitae, 252 pgs, 2006.
- Pearls and Corals – Secrets of the Sufi Way. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 220 pgs, 2005.
- Keys to the Divine Kingdom – Lessons in Classical Islam’s Spiritual Science. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 88 pgs, 2005.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Volume 1). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 360 pgs, 2002.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Volume 2). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 328 pgs, 2002.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Volume 3). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 208 pgs, 2005.
- The Approach of Armageddon – An Islamic Perspective. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 292 pgs, 2003.
- Classical Islam and the Naqshbandi Sufi Order. Islamic Supreme Council of America, 972 pgs, 2003.
- Muhammad the Messenger of Allah – His Life and Prophecy. By Hajjah Amina Adil, Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 582 pgs, 2002.
- Liberating the Soul – A Guide for Spiritual Growth (Vol 1 to 3). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 2002, Vol 1 (360 pgs), Vol 2 (328 pgs), Vol 3 (190 pgs).
- In the Mystic Footsteps of Saints (Vol 1 & 2). By Shaykh Nazim Adil al-Haqqani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani (ed). Islamic Supreme Council of America, 2002.
- Encyclopedia of Islamic Doctrine. 7 Volumes. Kazi Publications, 1998.
- Volume 1 – Beliefs. 232 pgs.
- Volume 2 – Remembrance of Allah and Praising the Prophet. 225 pgs.
- Volume 3 – The Prophet: Commemorations, Visitation and His Knowledge of the Unseen. 191 pgs.
- Volume 4 – Intercession. 181 pgs.
- Volume 5 – Self-Purification and the State of Excellence. 192 pgs.
- Volume 6 – Forgotten Aspects of Islamic Worship, Part 1. 177 pgs.
- Volume 7 – Forgotten Aspects of Islamic Worship, Part 2. 232 pgs.
- Encyclopedia of Muhammad’s Women Companions and the Traditions They Related. By Shaykh Muhammad Hisham Kabbani and Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar. Defenders Publications, 500 pgs, 1998.
- Remembrance of God Liturgy of the Sufi Naqshbandi Masters. Kazi Publications, 32 pgs, 1998.
- Angels Unveiled: A Sufi Perspective. Kazi Publications, 262 pgs, 1996.
- The Naqshbandi Sufi Way – History and Guidebook of the Saints of the Golden Chain. Kazi Publications, 469 pgs, 1995.
Shaykh Hisham advises many organisations in the promotion of tolerance and moderation, inherent in traditional Islam:
- Chairman, Islamic Supreme Council of America
- President, The Muslim Magazine
- U.S. Leader, Naqshbandi Haqqani Sufi Order
- Chairman, As-Sunnah Foundation of America
Shaykh Hisham Kabbani has also addressed students and academics at many universities like Oxford, Harvard, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, McGill, Georgetown, etc. In his ongoing efforts to unite, educate and serve Muslims, Shaykh Hisham Kabbani founded several national organisations like the Islamic Supreme Council of America (ISCA), As-Sunnah Foundation of America (ASFA), and KAMILAT (Muslim women organisation). As founder of KAMILAT, he has brought challenges faced by women and families to the forefront of Muslim consciousness. His strong commitment to gender equality and continuous support of women’s rights to education, inclusion in politics, policymaking and all levels of community affairs, paved the way for KAMILAT to co-host the 2nd International Islamic Unity Conference ’98 in Washington DC. “The Role of Women in Building the 21st Century” featured experts from around the world and a dozen panels on contemporary Muslim-specific issues. He is also founder and publisher of The Muslim Magazine, which was launched in 1998.
In addition to being interviewed by and reported on by almost every major daily newspaper in the USA, including an exclusive feature in Newsweek magazine, Shaykh Hisham Kabbani has been featured on CNN, C-Span, A & E and the Odyssey Channel. His efforts have been lauded by the US Senate, the US Congress, the Governor of California, the California State Senate and the National Press Club. Shaykh Hisham Kabbani has spent his life spreading the teachings of peace, tolerance, respect and love, which are the message of Islam, throughout the world. He continues to disseminate the light and peace of Islam’s spiritual dimension to people of every background, ethnicity, race and belief.
Shaykh Hisham Kabbani’s mission is to spread the peaceful and beautiful Islamic teachings of the brotherhood of mankind and the Unity of belief in Allah. His efforts are directed at bringing the diverse spectrum of religions and spiritual paths into harmony and concord, in recognition of mankind’s responsibility as caretaker of this fragile planet and of one another. His arduous spiritual training of 40 years has endowed him with the sublime qualities of wisdom, light, intellect, and compassion. Shaykh Hisham Kabbani’s outreach mission is his unique contribution to the Endeavor of Humankind in reaching for its highest destiny – nearness to Allah the Almighty.
More details at https://simplyislam.sg/about/our-scholars/shaykh-hisham-kabbani/